Playing catch is a simple childhood staple and it's a great way to spend time together as a family. You don't need much time, space, or resources to play but the benefits are many. I'm sharing 10 of my family's favorite ways to play and I hope you find a few that you like as well. Have fun!
Playing catch has a multitude of benefits. While playing catch your child is building and working muscles, practicing their hand-eye coordination, and learning how to take turns. They are also learning about persistence and determination. Plus, it's a fantastic way to connect with your child.
There are various ways you can play catch. Adapt it for your family's ages, skills, and interests.
- Play using a variety of balls. Try baseballs, softballs, tennis balls, footballs, nerf balls and even beach balls.
- Use bean bags and play games like hot potato.
- Try to catch water balloons! The smaller they are, the harder it is to bust them. Fill some extra full, just for fun!
- Count each catch and try to beat your record of consecutive catches.
- Play by bouncing a tennis ball off of the side of your house and trying to catch it as it comes back.
- Play using velcro mitts.
- Play "keep away" or "monkey in the middle."
- Use a large basket or bucket and various balls. One person tosses the balls as the other runs around and tries to catch them in their bucket. If more than one person is catching, see who can catch the most.
- Throw and catch a frisbee instead.
- Play with a glow in the dark ball at night.
How does your family like to play catch?